May 4, 2018
First, let me thank all of you in our school community for your love and support during these last weeks as we said goodbye to Father Nick. We appreciate all the kind words and gestures that you have given to us. Your children created some of the most beautiful drawings, poems, and letters I have seen as their way of saying goodbye to Father. If you have not had a chance to see them yet, please stop by the Ballad Room and look at the memory board we have created for their work.
The month of May begins a very busy time here at St. Anthony’s. While the school year moves closer to the end, we have so many upcoming events that it seems we never stop moving.
- This Saturday, our 2nd Grade class will celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Eucharist. The students have worked very hard to prepare themselves for this blessed event. If you are able to join us, please do. Mass begins at 10:00 A.M.
- Wednesday, May 9th is our annual May Procession. This event is one of our most honored traditions with our graduating 8th Graders making up our May Court and one of our 2nd Graders being our crown bearer. This reverent event begins at 2:00 P.M. with the students processing from the school to the Church. If you would like to send in flowers for the altar, please do so on Wednesday morning. All are welcome to attend!
- Please remember for May Procession that no summer uniforms may be worn. No shorts are permitted and boys in 6th – 8th Grade must wear a button up shirt and tie.
- Field Day will be on Wednesday, May 16th. All students are to wear their gym uniforms. Lunch will be provided that day. If your child does not eat hot dogs, please be sure to send a lunch in with them.
- All students should bring a towel to sit on outside and an extra water bottle.
- Please be sure your child has applied sunscreen BEFORE coming to school.
Congratulations to our April Students of the Month! April’s virtue was “justice.” Congratulations to Duke Tayler (PK3), Molly Turner (PK4), Sylvie Keen (K), Giavanna Di Donato (1st), Chase Willard (2nd), Cecilia Ramos (3rd), Rosie Davidson (4th), Alyssa Ceresini (5th), Jessica Rieger (6th), Olivia Segeda (7th), and Amari Mathis (8th)! Keep up the good work!
Nemours/A.I. DuPont Donation Drive – During the month of May, Student Council is running a donation drive for Nemours/A.I. DuPont Children’s Hospital. Information was sent home last week. We are hoping for at least one item per child in the school. Items may be brought in anytime between now and May 31st.
Congratulations to former students, Ellen Banker and Nate Thomas! Ellen and Nate are both high school seniors and they received the St. Francis de Sales Award from the Diocese. The award is presented to seniors in Catholic high schools and recognizes them for excellence in faith development, scholarship, service, leadership, and citizenship.
New Parish Website – St. Anthony’s parish is pleased to announce our new parish website, which features significant usability upgrades and a wide expansion of content. The new site is “live” now and we will prepare to wind down the existing site after May 15, 2018. Please bookmark the new site and start visiting it today! The new site address is:http://www.sapde.org
. Check the site often as we continue to add content to it!
May Parish Monthly Social – Our next parish social will be held on Sunday, May 6th in the Ballad Room of the Grade School, following the 9:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M. Masses. Stop by for food, fun, and socializing with fellow parishioners and friends. The social, as always, will feature a variety of great treats from Serpe’s Bakery, delicious breakfast pizzas from Degnars’ Greenhill Deli, and a variety of other foods.
Pentecost Sunday “Red Foods” Social – A new parish tradition, the Pentecost Sunday Social featuring red foods (the color of the Holy Spirit, whose descent into the world we celebrate on Pentecost) will be held on Sunday, May 20th after the 11:00 A.M. Mass in the Ballad Room of the Grade School. Stop by for food, fun, and socializing with fellow parishioners and friends. The social will feature a variety of great treats from Serpe’s Bakery, delicious breakfast pizzas from Degnars Greenhill Deli, and a variety of red (& other) foods. Thanks to the Blessed Virgin Mary Sodality for their sponsorship of this social and for all they do to serve our parish community.
Italian Festival News
2018 Italian Festival: Volunteers Needed! – It’s that time of year again! The region’s largest Italian-American cultural event, and the primary fundraiser benefitting our GradeSchool, is running Sunday, June 10th -Sunday, June 17th! Volunteers are essential to the Festival’s success. It’s a fun and very fulfilling way to support our school and parish, and to be part of a treasured community tradition. Of course, without volunteers, there is no Festival! No special skills or experience needed—everyone is welcome to volunteer! Check out volunteer opportunities at the Festival website: www.stanthonysfestival.com, & click on the Sign up To Volunteer Online link on the upper right of the home page. Then follow instructions on that page to our online signup link.
Grade School families are expected to volunteer 15 hours for the Festival. In addition to the online signup option, refer to information that was sent sent home with students regarding the volunteer assignment/sign-up process. School families may sign up either online or by completing & returning the paper signup form.
Thanks to everyone for your continued support!
Italian Festival 8-Day Passes & Gift Cards Now Available—PRE-FESTIVAL SALES PRICES – Passes are a great gift for graduation or any occasion! Gift cards are the perfect gift for Moms, Dads, grads—everyone. They are also a smart way to provide funds to the kids for use at this year’s Festival. BUY NOW and SAVE!!
- Passes & Gift Cards are available:
- at the Rectory during office hours (8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., Monday-Friday and 5:30 P.M. – 8:00 P.M., Monday-Thursday) starting May 1, 2018
- at the Church after 5:30 P.M./7:00 A.M./9:00 A.M. Masses starting the weekend of May 6, 2018
- via secure PayPal purchase on the Festival website (www.stanthonysfestival.com) starting April 24, 2018
- with Home and School gift card sales at the Grade School on Friday mornings (starting April 27, 2018) and 11:00 A.M. Masses on Sundays (starting April 29, 2018)
- PRE-FESTIVAL 8-DAY PASS PRICE:
- $12.00—20% OFF price if purchased at the Festival ($15.00).
- A pass provides one admission per person per day to the Festival.
- Festival Admission Policy: Under age 14: FREE (if accompanied by a parent or guardian age 18 or older); $5 daily for ages 14-61; Over age 61: FREE.
- PRE-FESTIVAL GIFT CARD PRICES:
- $25.00 Gift Cards: PRE-FESTIVAL PRICE $22.00
- $50.00 Gift Cards: PRE-FESTIVAL PRICE $42.00
NOTE: Advance Ride Tickets will also be on sale when available. (Mid-May)
Looking for an Inexpensive Way to Promote Your Business? Would you like to reach the tens of thousands of people who attend the Italian Festival? Consider purchasing a banner that can advertise on our perimeter gate. It’s an easy and affordable way to spread the word about your business! For more info email us at: email@example.com
Important Dates – Please continue to check our school website (https://sapgs.org) for upcoming events and information. Also like our Facebook page to see photos from our events and school activities.
- May 5th – First Communion – Church – 10:00 A.M.
- May 6th – Parish Social – Ballad Room – after the 9:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M. Mass
- May 7th – Student Council Meeting – PreSchool – 3:00 – 3:30 P.M.
- May 9th – May Procession – 2:00 P.M.
- May 10th – Kindergarten Field Trip – Playhouse – 9:00 A.M.
- May 15th – Barnes and Noble Night – 4:00 P.M.
- Salesianum/Padua Visit – 1:30 P.M.
- May 16th – Field Day (More info to come)
- YAC Meeting – Ballad Room – 6:00 P.M.
- Home and School General Meeting/Elections – Ballad Room – 6:30 P.M.
- May 19th – YAC Awards Banquet – Padua Academy – 6:00 P.M.
- May 20th – Parish Pentecost “Red Foods” Social – Ballad Room – after the 11:00 A.M. Mass
- May 21st – Student Council Final Meeting – PreSchool – 3:00 – 3:30 P.M.
- May 22nd – Spring Band Concert – Ballad Room – 2:00 P.M.
- 2nd Grade Field Trip – White Clay Creek State Park
- May 23rd – 8th Grade Field Trip to NYC
- 1st Grade Field Trip – Philadelphia Zoo -8:30 A.M. – 2:30 P.M.
- May 24th – 5th Grade Field Trip – Philadelphia Museum of Art – 8:45 A.M. – 2:15 P.M.
- 3rd Grade Field Trip – Delaware Solid Waste Authority – 8:45 – 11:30 A.M.
- May 25th – NOON DISMISSAL FOR STUDENTS – Teacher Planning Day
- May 28th – Memorial Day – School Closed
- June 1st – PreSchool’s Last Day
- June 4th – 8th Grade Communion Breakfast
- June 5th – 8th Grade Graduation – Church – 7:00 P.M.
- Kindergarten Last Day
- Kindergarten Prayer Service– Ballad Room – 2:00 P.M.
- Kindergarten Last Day
- June 6th – NOON DISMISSAL
- June 7th – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL – 10:30 A.M. Dismissal
- June 10th – June 17th – Italian Festival
- June 11th – Teachers’ Last Work Day
Mrs. White and Mr. Shields
“Mary’s greatness consists in the fact that she wants to magnify God, not herself.” ~ Pope Benedict XVI