The Parish of St. Anthony of Padua began in 1924, under the direction of the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, with the Reverend J. Francis Tucker as the first pastor. One of his early decisions was to give special attention to the education of the children of the parish. Father Tucker sought the assistance of the Franciscan Sisters from Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania, to develop and plan the philosophy and curriculum for the children attending the new school.
The Sisters arrived in January of 1938. They began their ministry in the old Number 11 school building, which had been renovated by Father Roberto and his crew of volunteers, and has since been torn down. With the growth of the school’s population during the 1940’s and 50’s, the Number 11 school building became inadequate. Once again, Father Roberto and his hundreds of volunteers generously gave of themselves with service and contributions to build a new school. The crews worked nights, Saturdays, and holidays for over five years to complete the new building.
The dedication of the new school on May 29, 1958 was more than a ceremony placing a cornerstone; it was a testimony to the men, women, and children of St. Anthony’s who made their parish a very special part of their lives. Today over 275 students of different personalities, intellects, and abilities attend St. Anthony of Padua Grade School. The teaching staff serving those students includes both religious and lay personnel. Our support staff manages the offices, cafeteria, and building.
A Pre-School program was initiated in the 2006-2007 school year to serve students 3 and 4 years of age. This academically based program introduces our youngest learners to a school setting, teaches them social skills, and encourages emotional development in a warm and loving environment. For several years, faculty and staff have provided affordable before and after school care for families. This is a service provided in the school building.