April 6, 2018
I hope everyone had a beautiful and peaceful Easter Break. Things have been very busy around here. I hope you are following us on Facebook to see pictures throughout the actual school day.
Today at Mass, Father Wrightson reminded the children of the story of Jesus reuniting with His friends after the Resurrection. He spoke about how Jesus helped his disciples to bring in more fish then they normally would. When his friends came to shore, Jesus had a fire going, ready for them to have breakfast together. During his homily, Father Wrightson asked the students who would want to have a breakfast of fish, and very few students agreed that is what they would enjoy instead of cereal. He was able to point out that Jesus may not always give us what we want, but he does give us what we need.
And some exciting news, we received our new 75 inch Smart Monitor earlier this week and are working to install it in the 21st Century Digital Library so it can be used next week. The monitor can raise and lower to accommodate any of our student groups with the touch of a button. The monitor requires no expensive parts and will serve St. Anthony’s for years to come. Think of the Smart Monitor like a large iPad that allows students to touch and interact with it.
Friday April 27th is the midpoint of the third trimester. Please review PowerSchool to check your child’s status. Zeros entered indicate missing assignments. In middle school this is crucial, as it will affect the final grade.
Congratulations to our March Students of the Month! March’s virtue was mercy. Congratulations to Emma Matarese (PK 3), Wen Wen Chen (PK 4), R.J. Kowalski (K), Raphael Arias (1st), Adrian Ortiz (2nd), Abby Beals (3rd), Lakeves Laws(4th), Alessandra Marte (5th), Brianna Ramos (6th), Emily Anderson (7th), and Cara Quinlan (8th)!
Congratulations and God Bless Nadia Black (8th) and Rebecca Baker (2nd). Nadia was Baptized into our Catholic faith and Rebecca received the sacrament of First Reconciliation. May the Lord bless you both.
Congratulations to the following Community Builders: Norma Cole, Pam Morabito, and Nicholas Ferrara. On Friday, April 27th, we will honor these community builders at our regular 8:00 A.M. Mass.
- Norma Cole was a Math teacher here for many years. She was instrumental in starting Student Council.
- Pam Morabito has served on many boards and currently serves as President of YAC (Youth Activities) and also serves on our Parish Finance Council. Pam has been a coach for many years, continuing long after her own son graduated.
- Nick Ferrara has been a supporter of the grade school for as long as I can remember. He has helped us with generous monetary contributions over the years, to support new and innovative ideas like our computer lab and most recently our digital library.
We will be celebrating the lives of these three fine individuals for their dedication to our parish school community. They have given of their time, treasures, and talent, and we are extremely grateful for their kindness and generosity.
Congratulations to Mrs. Nancy Burris on the birth of her grandson, Ethan Patrick Burris! We can’t wait to meet him!
Please join us on Saturday, April 14th for the Phil Rendina Discretionary Education Fund Dinner. This dinner will be themed “Flashback to Little Italy.” There will be a Mass of remembrance at 5:30 P.M. in Church followed by dinner in the Ballad Room. Come and enjoy a dinner of Gerardo’s Pizza, subs from Capriotti’s and Casapulla’s, and Bernie’s water ice. Have fun with flash back photos, music, dancing, and much more. All proceeds go directly to our grade school that Phil loved so much. Contact Pam Morabito at email@example.com for more information and tickets.
Come join our Antonians for an Evening of Sacred Music at St. John the Beloved on Thursday, April 19th. All Antonians are invited and encouraged to attend this event. It is a beautiful evening with samples of music from all of the Catholic elementary schools in the Diocese. More details will follow under separate cover. Antonians are asked to arrive at 6:15 in school uniform. The program will start promptly at 7:00 P.M.
Home and School News
Come join the fun on Friday, April 27th for Designer Bag Bingo – Bingo will be held here at the school in our Gymnasium. Doors open at 5:30 P.M. with games beginning at 7:00 P.M. Tickets cost $25, and include 20 games and 1 raffle ticket. All proceeds benefit St. Anthony of Padua Grade School.
- You are welcome to bring your own snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. Light snacks and drinks will be available for purchase.
- No one under the age of 18 permitted.
Important Dates – Please continue to check our school website (https://sapgs.org) for upcoming events and information. Also like our Facebook page to see photos from our events and school activities.
- April 9th– Student Council Meeting – PreSchool – 3:00- 3:30 P.M
- April 12th – atTAcK addiction – 6th/7th Grade – 11:30 A.M.
- April 14th – High School Placement Test Practice Test – St. Elizabeth School and St. Thomas More Academy
- Phil Rendina Discretionary Education Fund Dinner – Ballad Room – 6:30 P.M.
- April 16th – Mark High School Visit – Middle School – 1:30 P.M.
- April 18th – YAC Meeting – Ballad Room – 6:00 P.M.
- April 19th – Evening of Sacred Music – St. John the Beloved – 7:00 P.M.
- April 23rd – Student Council Meeting – PreSchool – 3:00 – 3:30 P.M.
- April 26th – Teach Children to Save Day – Elementary Level
- April 27th – Community Builders – Church – 8:00 A.M. Mass
- Designer Bag Bingo – Gym – 7:00 P.M.
- May 4th – First Communion Practice Mass – Church – 8:00 A.M.
- May 5th – First Communion – Church – 10:00 A.M.
- May 6th – Parish Social – Ballad Room – after the 9:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M. Mass
- May 7th – Student Council Meeting – PreSchool – 3:00 – 3:30 P.M.
- May 9th – May Procession – 2:00 P.M.
- May 10th – Kindergarten Field Trip – Playhouse – 9:00 A.M.
- May 15th – Barnes and Noble Night – 4:00 P.M.
- May 16th – Field Day (More info to come)
- YAC Meeting – Ballad Room – 6:00 P.M.
- Home and School General Meeting/Elections – Ballad Room – 6:30 P.M.
- May 21st – Student Council Meeting – PreSchool – 3:00 – 3:30 P.M.
- May 22nd – Spring Band Concert – Ballad Room – 2:00 P.M.
- May 23rd – 8th Grade Field Trip to NYC
- May 24th – 5th Grade Field Trip – Philadelphia Museum of Art – 8:45 A.M. – 2:15 P.M.
- May 25th – NOON DISMISSAL FOR STUDENTS – Teacher Planning Day
- May 28th – Memorial Day – School Closed
- June 1st – PreSchool’s Last Day
- June 4th – 8th Grade Communion Breakfast
- June 5th – 8th Grade Graduation – Church – 7:00 P.M.
- Kindergarten Last Day
- Kindergarten Prayer Service– Ballad Room – 2:00 P.M.
- June 6th – NOON DISMISSAL
- June 7th – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL – 10:30 A.M. Dismissal
- June 11th – June 17th – Italian Festival
- June 11th – Teachers’ Last Work Day
- Kindergarten Last Day
Mrs. White and Mr. Shields
“Having faith does not mean having no difficulties, but having the strength to face them, knowing we are not alone.” ~ Pope Francis